Friday, July 23, 2010

I have a virus! What do I do!

AVG ( http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage ) is a good free anti-virus program that monitors your PC on a regular basis.  Surprisingly, another decent one is from Microsoft and also free; it is called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) ( http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ ).

One program that I love and use at work regularly enough is called Malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ).  Install it and run it like any other program...

-----

If you already have an anti-virus program, try it first.

If you already have an anti-virus program and it is no longer activated or working, uninstall it through the control panel.  Then install either AVG or MSE and run a scan.

Obviously if you don't have anything and you're "running naked",  then install either AVG or MSE and run a scan.

Additionally, download and install Malwarebytes to work as a supplement to your anti-virus.  Malwarebytes will only run when you tell it to and it plays nice with your anti-virus software.

Note: having two anti-virus programs like both AVG and MSE at the same time will be worse than having viruses.  One anti-virus.  One.

-----

As an added measure, for the paranoid people, unplug your 'internet' wire when you are not using your PC until you get your virus issue solved.  That will interrupt most intermittent transmissions of your data to the virus mothership computers.

Then there is the option to call a professional, like me.  Message me if interested.

Good luck any which way.

P.S. For bonus nerd points take this interesting and promising bit of technology out for a spin ( http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html ) .

2 comments:

  1. Is there anything else out there that is like Malware Bytes? I mean don't get me wrong I know the term 'malware' is a catch all but I have yet to fine one anti virus that catches everything. Wikipedia defines Malware as "short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.[1] The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to include all types of malware, including true viruses.

    Software is considered to be malware based on the perceived intent of the creator rather than any particular features. Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, dishonest adware, crimeware, most rootkits, and other malicious and unwanted software. In law, malware is sometimes known as a computer contaminant, for instance in the legal codes of several U. S. states, including California and West Virginia."

    What about suggesting Trend Micro Housecall or Portable Super Anti Spyware? I think these can work just as well and if in the end you are desperate and do not want to reload AND you have a 32 bit system there is ComboFix if you know what your doing and have already backed up your data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use these three the most. I haven't found anything as good like Malware Bytes lately. The Avira one I have listed on the bottom was a recent find which is a Linux Live CD with tools to fix Windows machines.

    It boots the machine into a Linux environment completely bypassing any Windows related 'badness' and it did fix two machines that wouldn't get past loading the driver, so it is two for two.

    I have used ComboFix, which is very powerful, and will fix a machine with it as a last resort-- because ComboFix will also powerfully corrupt a machine to a state worse than it began with. When Combofix works it is good, when it doesn't you are almost guaranteed a reload in agreement with what you said. I've tried to stay away from Trend because of a bad experience years ago. I may give them a second chance down the road, but other suitable alternatives have made themselves apparent. And the two other ones McAfee & whatever Norton is calling itself these days' offering. McAfee is a passable solution, but it breaks a lot allowing even valid subscriptions to leave you unprotected. I just had two machines in the last week that needed McAfee 'fixed'. And Norton may be the most secure solution-- but it takes up so many resources and it seems to slow a system to a crawl. The most secure system is one that is unusable by anyone, Norton sure does take that to heart. I strongly advise against their current offerings as they are for that reason. NOD makes something, I have encountered it on rare occasions, one of the guys I do service work for uses it. Next time I see him, I will reply with his opinion of the software. I hear good things about ThreatFire and Comodo Firewall, but I don't even know anyone that really uses them.

    None of these companies have paid me money to say anything about one another. It is just my opinion from me using and being exposed these programs. Next time when saving a system may be nice but not required, I will give Portable Super Anti Spyware a try and post the results. Thanks for the reply.

    ReplyDelete

Followers